Yummy recipe today from guest blogger Jenny Smith!
She's here from Fresh Maine Seafood to share a crab cake recipe. Crab cakes are really delicious and quite easy to prepare in your own kitchen as you can see below. :)
Crabs aren’t exactly the friendliest of all creatures, but they sure can be one of the tastiest. People make crab delicacies like crab steaks, fried crab claws, crab roast and even crab meat curry. But what are really easy to make are crab cakes. They look good, taste good and you can now make them yourself.
Preparing for the recipe will take you 30 minutes because you have to de-shell and clean two, two pound crabs. It will take only 10 minutes to cook. Total cooking time is 40 minutes.
The Crab cakes recipe is as follows:
· A one pound lump of crab meat de-shelled and cleaned properly
· 4 tbsp unsalted butter (divided, 1tbsp and 3tbsp)
· ½ a cup chopped shallots
· 1 tsp kosher salt
· 1and a half tsp Worcestershire Sauce
· 2 large eggs
· 1 tsp sweet paprika
· ½ tsp black pepper
· 2 tbsp tartar sauce
· 1 tsp lemon zest
· 1 tbsp chopped parsley (fresh)
· ¼ tsp Tabasco
· 4 slices of white bread with crusts removed, torn into small bits which fill 2 cups
· 2 to 3 cups of bread crumbs
1. Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet. Heat should be medium. Then add the shallots and half a tsp of salt. Fry till shallots are translucent, do not brown. Take the shallots off heat and let them cool.
2. In a bowl whisk both the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, ½ tsp salt, tartar sauce, black pepper, lemon zest, parsley, lemon zest, Tabasco and the cooked shallots. Fold in gently the torn breadcrumbs and crabmeat. Take care as to not break up the lumps of crabmeat. The mixture will be very moist. Using your hands take a scoop of the mixture and form a patty out of it. Try to make it round. Make about 12 patties. Line a rimmed tray with wax paper , sprinkle half the breadcrumbs in the bottom of the tray, set the crab cakes on the layer on breadcrumbs over the cakes.
3. Cover the tray with a loose sheet of wax paper and chill in the fridge for an hour.
4. Heat 3 tbsps of butter in a non stick frying pan, let the butter melt and foam. Let the foam subside and in batches fry the crab cakes till golden brown for say 3 minutes fir each side.
5. Serve hot.
Thanks Jenny for sharing that great-looking recipe! Maybe we could get our hubbies to make it for us on Mother's Day? :)
Lots of love,