This dessert is soooo yummy. Kind of different, utterly fresh and delicious. Frankly, it's a little too good, I ate entirely too much of it. :)
I think puff pastry is so fun--you buy it and it's just this flat lifeless thing, then you good it and man does it ever "puff!" They weren't kidding about it. If you haven't tried it, then you'll have to buy some and give it a go just for the fun of it. :)
Anyway, so you combine this light and flaky puff pastry with strawberries (already you can tell it'll be awesome) and then this sour-creamy, sweet, orange-zesty, creamy filling that is quite impossible to stop snitching. It's a perfect mix.
This one is definelty going in my keeper box!
I first got the idea from a Pampered Chef party I hosted ages ago--seriously probably 8 or 9 years ago. That's how much it left an impression on me if I can remember it from that long. There, though, the dessert was cute little individual squares. It was fun to scale it up and change it up a bit to make this fancy dessert.
I hope you have a good reason to make this fun spring-time dessert--probably just to celebrate the fact that it is spring. Or that it's a Friday. Either are totally worth it. :)
Strawberry Puff Pastry Dessert
3 puff pastry sheets, thawed
¼ c. sliced almonds
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 8-oz. container sour cream
½ c. powdered sugar
¼ tsp. almond extract
1 ½ c. whipped topping
~1 lb. of fresh strawberries, sliced.
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Unfold the pastry dough onto 2 or 3 large cookie sheets. Cut them into a circle (I used a cake pan as my stencil).
3. Bake according to package directions.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
5. Lightly toast the almonds.
6. Zest the orange and combine the zest with the sugar.
7. Whisk the sour cream, powdered sugar and almond extract. Mix in the orange zest and sugar. Fold in the whipped topping.
8. Place one puff pastry round onto your cake stand or serving tray. Spread a little less than half of the filling onto the puff pastry (it’ll probably crush down when you do so, but don’t be alarmed or worried!). Sprinkle this with half of the slivered almonds and half of the sliced strawberries.
9. Add another layer of puff pastry, repeat the filling steps.
10. Add another layer of puff pastry, and then dollop the top with some remaining filling, almonds and strawberries. You may also garnish with additional orange zest and a mint sprig.
Click here to print the recipe.